The Roanoke Valley Greenway Commission has posted the following job opportunity for a new Roanoke Valley Greenway Coordinator. See the full job description and application information here:
The Coordinator serves as staff to the Roanoke Valley Greenway Commission (Commission) and reports to its Executive Committee. The Coordinator performs complex, multi-level and cross-functional professional and administrative work coordinating the development of a comprehensive greenway and trail system in the Roanoke Valley with the member localities. The position manages regional planning, coordination, and implementation processes for greenways and trails. The Coordinator represents the Commission to the public and the media and serves as a liaison to the member localities, including Roanoke County, the City of Roanoke, the City of Salem, Botetourt County, and the Town of Vinton, and to agencies and partners, such as Pathfinders for Greenways. Performs other duties as assigned.
Please note, there are 4 supplemental questions that must be answered and included with your application.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Promotes greenway and trail development in the Valley, working from the Goals, Objectives, and Strategies outlined in the Intergovernmental Agreement and in the Roanoke Valley Conceptual Greenway Plan, as amended, under the direction of the Commission and in consultation with the member localities.
• Coordinates Commission functions in accordance with the bylaws and Intergovernmental Agreement in collaboration with the Executive Committee and Commission.
• Serves as a liaison to the member localities, including staff and elected officials; represents the Commission at Council/Board meetings.
• Coordinates the volunteer work of Pathfinders for Greenways and other volunteer organizations, including design, compliance, funding and locality approvals of projects.
• Coordinates and manages volunteers for work on trail building, greenway amenities, and maintenance projects.
• Represents the Commission to local, state, federal and not-for-profit agencies and organizations involved with greenways, blueways, tourism, transportation, open space and natural resource issues.
• Represents the Commission at meetings and conferences providing information regarding the status of the greenway system, financing, and technical design issues; prepares written and/or oral reports for presentation to a variety of individuals and groups.
• Writes grants and applications and assists in finding funding, including in-kind contribution sources, for greenway construction and various greenway projects and events.
• Serves as spokesperson for the Commission with respect to inquiries from the public and the press, including presentations to groups and partners.
• Coordinates an annual audit and develops an annual report for presentation to member localities and other agencies.
• Prepares and manages budget processes, performs accounting documentation and ensures compliance with procurement regulations of the fiscal agent.
• Responsible for correspondence and record-keeping for the Commission.
• Assists and advises the Commission, participating localities and other government entities with planning/funding/design/development of greenways and other trails.
• Manages periodic updates to the regional Greenway Plan.
• Coordinates development of the greenway and trails system with locality staff, elected officials, volunteers and other partners.
• Coordinates with Pathfinders for Greenways and other volunteer organizations on projects, fundraising, meetings, volunteers and equipment.
• Represents the Commission on the Transportation Technical Committee, Pathfinders for Greenways and other local and state outdoor, conservation and transportation-related organizations.
• Performs outreach and educational activities regarding greenways and trails.
• Coordinates with Commission committees to achieve goals in marketing, public relations, special events, standards, and fundraising.