The Roanoke Valley Transportation Planning Organization has TWO opportunities right now for public input on transportation investments: The Transportation Improvement Program (opportunity to comment and a public hearing) and the Surface Transportation Block Grant for Route 460 projects (a survey and a public hearing).
Transportation Improvement Program
Having previously collected public input on the Roanoke Valley’s priority transportation investments worth $208 million in the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for 2021-2024, the Roanoke Valley Transportation Planning Organization (RVTPO) will hold a public hearing on the TIP on Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm during the Policy Board online meeting. Details on how to participate will be available in the agenda when it is posted one week before the meeting. Review the complete draft TIP here and comment here by June 18, 2020.
Surface Transportation Block Grant for Route 460 projects
Take the STBG Survey by June 18, 2020 or read more about it below first. In addition to the survey, there will be a public hearing Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm during the Policy Board online meeting. Details on how to participate in the online meeting will be available in the agenda when it is posted one week before the meeting.
The RVTPO urgently needs public input on committing $5 million in regional funds anticipated in 2027 for five projects on Route 460! This commitment could bring up to $20 million into the region in additional funds.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) completed the Route 460 Operational Improvement Study with extensive public input, and developed key projects that will improve traffic flow and safety on this critical corridor. VDOT will be providing more information and seeking public comment on these key projects, but the RVTPO urgently needs public input NOW on committing $5 million in regional funds to these projects in order to bring up to $20 million additional funds to the region.
The RVTPO receives about $5 million/year regional funding through the Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG) program to directly select and fund transportation projects in the Roanoke Valley, a small portion of the local, state, and federal funds that support transportation projects. The RVTPO recently obtained public input on projects submitted for STBG funding through 2026.
The City of Roanoke and Roanoke County seek a commitment of STBG funds anticipated in 2027 to leverage Route 460 applications for SMART SCALE funding, which is due soon. They request 20% of the estimated project cost to leverage the remaining 80% from SMART SCALE. STBG funds would be committed conditionally upon receiving SMART SCALE funding, but if the projects do not receive funding the STBG funds are no longer committed. The total requested STBG funds is $5 million (one year’s worth) and could potentially leverage $20 million in SMART SCALE funds to the region.
Before making the decision to conditionally commit STBG funds and make these applications more competitive in SMART SCALE, the RVTPO seeks public input, with the limited information available, on whether these Route 460 projects are good investments for the region.
Take the STBG Survey now!